Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Focaccia - this time it isn't a big cracker!

The summer I tried making focaccia. It didn't get golden brown like the recipe said it would so I left it in the oven longer, too long in fact. It turned into a giant cracker, and not a brown one.

I asked Josh at Loaf Bakery what I should do to make the focaccia brown in the oven and he said I needed to create steam as the focaccia is beginning to cook. You can use a spray bottle and spray the preheated oven on the sides and bottom, but I just splashed a few tablespoons of water and that seemed to work fine. This time the focaccia browned in the 20 minute cooking time.


The recipe is from Sarabeth Levine's cookbook Sarabeth's Bakery. You can find the cookbook, seen in this picture, on her blog, Sarabeth. The green bottle of olive oil is from Midtown Olive Press. The recipe called for a fruity olive oil and I used their Blood Orange olive oil. The recipe calls for putting olive oil on the half sheet pan before adding the dough and again on top after the dough has puffed up and you create the dimples with your finger. It really gave the focaccia a great flavor.

Midtown Olive Press also has a delicious Honey Ginger White Balsamic vinegar that pairs well with the Blood Orange olive oil for a salad dressing. I just drizzle a little of each over the salad and season with a little salt and pepper. Salad dressing doesn't get any easier than that.  I love to go taste the different vinegars and olive oils at Midtown, located in Friendly Center in Greensboro, NC. I also like that they let you bring your washed bottle back and reuse it. 

While the focaccia was baking I made a trip out to the garden to see what was left that I could put into a salad. 


Good thing I took the basket! Earlier I had pulled up some tiny carrots, but now they are much bigger, short, but fat! There were also peppers, spring onions and grape tomatoes. I sliced the carrots and onions very thin, cut the tomatoes in half and diced the peppers. This combined with some purple leaf lettuce from the farmer's market made a great salad. Don't forget the dressing that was described above. 

So much good food and good recipes to try!






No comments:

Post a Comment