Sunday, January 19, 2014

My Dad's cornbread recipe

Recently I found a recipe that my father had typed on his old Royal typewriter for cornbread. The last line at the bottom of the page says "From Parker's Kitchen".

I have made it several times and loved the rustic texture and savory flavors. It is very simple to make.



Here is the recipe:
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup plus 1 tsp plain flour (I use King Arthur All Purpose)
1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 whole spring onions, chopped including the green tops
1/4 tsp rosemary finely minced
1 large egg
2/3 cup buttermilk


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Sift the dry ingredients together (cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, & baking soda).

Dice the onions and rosemary.


Add the rosemary, onions, buttermilk and egg to the bowl and mix thoroughly.

I found I needed to add a couple more teaspoons of buttermilk to get the consistency I wanted.


Generously oil an 8 inch cast iron skillet and pour in the batter.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes until golden brown.

If you double this recipe it will make 12 corn muffins. I used a 1 3/4 inch diameter ice cream scoop to measure out the batter into each section. Just generously grease the muffin pan, including the top around each muffin so that the baked muffins will slide out easily.

You could make this ahead of time, mixing the dry ingredients and have the rosemary and onions chopped and ready to add. Once you add the egg and buttermilk, you need to be ready to put it in the oven.

Finding this recipe brought back lots of memories of my Dad.
I'll bet he made it to serve with the oysters he loved to roast on the grill. Thanks Dad!



No comments:

Post a Comment