Monday, August 11, 2014

Every Monday for 23 years...Yum!

We went to the Night Shift Saloon for a late lunch because my husband and brother-in-law had a craving for a burrito, not just any burrito, the Night Shift Burrito. Some years ago I went with them to the Night Shift Saloon and enjoyed a burrito, but since it was Monday, and one of the specials was a bean and ham hock soup I was temped to stray from the guys as I ordered.

The deciding factor was when I learned that this soup had been served here for the past 23 years, every Monday. Anything that merited that degree of longevity deserved to be sampled.

It did not disappoint. The bowl of thick soup with white beans and tender morsels of ham was delicious. Tiny bits of orange (carrots) appeared as I was scooping up each spoonful. An enormous piece of tender cornbread accompanied the soup and I made quick work of both.

Susie, the creator of the soup, shared that she uses onion, beans, carrot, garlic and smoked ham hocks and cooks it in a pressure cooker. She has been doing this for years and has created a masterpiece. The seasoning was perfect, the serving temperature was in the Goldilocks zone, just right, not too hot. I wish I could have eaten another bowl full and it was a generous portion of soup. I was praising the soup and a customer asked about it. When his bowl of soup came out, I snapped a picture of it.


If you are anywhere in the Denver area, the Night Shift Saloon should be on your list of places to eat...especially on a Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment