Saturday, August 17, 2013

Knitting in the Wild Wild West!

After all these years of airplane travel, I still marvel at the ability to hop on a plane, this time Frontier, soar into the sky and end up almost 2000 miles from where you started in just a few hours. While we were soaring above the clouds, I found myself wanting to identify them. We spent some time studying clouds year before last in my second grade class and this lesson produced some web pages devoted to this activity: (note, at some point the link below may disappear. Now that I am retired, I have no control over that)

This is one of my favorite Baby Blues cartoons.



http://eo.ucar.edu/webweather/cloud3.html

I couldn't knit while flying, but took time to contemplate the shapes of the clouds. Some of them looked like the white wool roving I have at home waiting to be spun into yarn. Other clouds remind me of the color of my satin angora rabbit, gray with a promise of rain.

Now that we are on the ground I can return to the knitting. One project involves a sheep named Gorgeous, and he was, and some Tomato Red dye. Part of his fleece was very light and part was dark. I separated the two parts and dyed the light part with the Tomato Red dye, then blended the two parts to get a homogenous roving. Then it was time to spin the roving into yarn. The result is a kind of muted red/pewter shade. The project is a simple scarf with a checkerboard effect. This is easy to do and is something that I can do while riding in the car.




No comments:

Post a Comment